Admixtures happen to be chemicals that use to be added to concrete in the stage of mixing to adjust a few of the elements of the mix that must never be measured a substitute for good mix design, good workmanship, or the use of good materials.
Concrete is one of the most used materials in construction, so it is necessary to control its manufacture both in the plant and on the construction site. In Malaysia, the procedures followed in its preparation are in accordance with the procedures of the American Concrete Institute (ACI, for its acronym in English). With these recommendations, normal concretes are designed with a certain resistance, heavy or with certain special characteristics that are achieved using additives.
For a long time, construction has not been understood without concrete, undoubtedly one of the reference materials. But behind something as ‘simple’ as concrete can be hidden many secrets. For example, just as construction needs this material, concrete itself needs the help of additives for many years to be able to adapt to any project that is put ahead.
As with food, concrete admixture Malaysia are used to modify its basic properties, adding properties that it does not have on its own, to obtain a mixture that is much better adapted to the project you want to undertake.
What can be highlighted about the existence and use of admixtures for concrete?
- They can be organic or inorganic in nature, created artificially.
- They are always added before mixing and the proportion used can never exceed 5% of their weight.
- They have different capacities and that is why there are a large number of additives, although the most used are those that modify the setting process to adapt to specific circumstances.
Uses of additives.
The most usual reasons for making use of admixtures in concrete are:
- Increase workability, without changing the water content.
- Reduce the water content, without changing the workability.
- Adjust the setting time.
- Reduce segregation.
- Improve pumpability.
- Accelerate the rate of resistance development at an early age.
- Increase resistance.
- Improve potential durability and reduce permeability.
Types of additives.
Additives are normally classified into categories according to their effect:
- Plasticizers (water reducing agents).
- Air entrainers.
Many additives provide combinations of the properties such as plasticizers / retarders or plasticizers / air entrainers. For more articles like this one, click here.